APRIL 2017 (1)
- Shuriu will be taking the 3-day GYROTONIC® Specialized Course Principles Applied to Dynamic Trunk Stabilization with Master Trainer Rita Renha.
MARCH 2017 (1)
- Shuriu will be studying in the 3-day GYROTONIC® Level I Pre-Trainer Update Course with Master Trainer Dawn Swatchick. Stay tuned for more insight into this lovely exercise system.
OCTOBER 2016 (2)
- DNS-Pilates Cumulative Workshop: Beginning October 1, 2016
Learn the principles of Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization by practicing Shuriu’s Pilates Core I DVD exercises, a wonderful introduction to the first two milestones in human developmental motor patterns (sagittal planar stabilization and extremities differentiation, for those of you reading that are professionals). This class will be held on specific Saturdays from 9:30am-10:00am, beginning on October 1st with participants updated in person and by email. We have 4 key participants beginning with sagittal stabilization.
FREE for Shuriu’s current clients, $15 per class for new clients, and $35 per class for Pilates professionals. Pre-register. You can attend via FaceTime, if pre-arranged with instructor (please allow at least 7 business days to process payment by mail or PayPal).
Can’t make the workshop? No problem. This work is already incorporated into private sessions with Shuriu. You are welcome to schedule private sessions with Shuriu using any modality in which Shuriu is trained. For the full experience, schedule a one-on-one session. Shuriu’s rates: $95/hour until November 2016 ($120/hour from November 2016 onwards).
- Shuriu attended her final DNS Exercise course toward certification. She is now a certified DNS Exercise Trainer!
AUGUST 2016 (2)
- Shuriu will attend Marisa Myer’s Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization (DNS) Exercise I course taught by Martina Jezkowa AND her Pilates & DNS Exercise Course in the Bay Area (that makes two events ^_^,).
JULY 2016 (2)
- Shuriu will host Pilates instructor Bonnie Nash sharing her specialty: teaching Pilates to senior clients as the third Pilates Circle community event this year. This workshop will be held at Long Beach Gyrotonic Studio on July 23 from 2:00-3:30pm. To sign up, please contact Shuriu at: email@example.com
2. The DNS Free Clinic will be extended for one more month at Long Beach GYROTONIC® Studio. Please check the DNS (Free) Clinic page for the scheduled clinic. It will not be held on a regular day and time for the month of July.
JUNE 2016 (2)
- Shuriu will host and teach a Pilates Circle community event focusing on revitalizing yourself through your feet. This workshop is scheduled for 10:30am-12pm on Saturday, June 18th at Long Beach GYROTONIC® Studio, 5808 E. Naples Plaza, Long Beach, CA 90803. The cost is $15.
2. The DNS Free Clinic will be held on Saturdays from 1:30-2:30pm for the month of June. For more information, please check the DNS (Free) Clinic page.
MAY 2016 (3)
- Shuriu will host a client appreciation day for client friends and family in honor of National Pilates Day on May 7th. Stay tuned for your hand-written invitation delivered during your exercise session or group class(es).
3. Shuriu will host Karen Washburn Ness teaching a classic Pilates mat class (very compatible with DNS exercise principles) at Long Beach GYROTONIC® Studio on Saturday, May 21 from 1:30-3:00pm as one of the four Pilates Circle events this year.
MARCH 2016 (2)
- Shuriu will attend her GYROTONIC® Pre-Trainer Update with GYROTONIC® Master Trainer Dawn Swatchick.
- Shuriu will attend the DNS (Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization) DNS Exercise II course taught by Martina Jezkova.
FEBRUARY 2016 (1)
- February 20, 2016: Shuriu Lo will host a Pilates Circle community event with moderator Bonnie Nash at Long Beach GYROTONIC® Studio. For the first time, the Pilates Circle will hold a free round table discussion centering on business practices and other issues arising in the community for Pilates instructors and studio owners. Snacks will be served. The event will be held from 2:00-3:30pm. To register, please contact Shuriu.
MAY 2015 (2)
1. May 9, 2015: Shuriu Lo will be hosting a Pilates Circle community event at Long Beach GYROTONIC® Studio. Shuriu’s colleague the Pilates teacher and certified nutritional consultant, Erin Haffner, will guide Pilates and mind-body exercise enthusiasts in peaceful practice. How do you direct your energies so that yourself and/or your clients to work deeper and more authentically during your Pilates practice? Erin is Long Beach Dance Conditioning Certified from the late 90s under Marie-Jose Blom. Erin is well-known for the safe and nurturing environment she creates for her clients. Experience this during a 45-minute Pilates exercise program with a short discussion of how to handle your energy after. Please follow this link to sign up for the workshop!
2. May 30, 2015: Shuriu will be attending a port de bras workshop taught by Boston Ballet principal dancer, Ashley Ellis, at Alicia Head’s Up Studio. Note from the Up Studio Facebook page: “Ashley Ellis, principal dancer with Boston Ballet, will be teaching two ballet classes at UP Studio on Sat. May 30! 10-12pm is for adv./prof. dancers and 2-4pm is for adult ballet students. There are a few spots available. To register, message me here on facebook or at: firstname.lastname@example.org. This is an incredible opportunity to learn from an exceptional artist and person and it’s an honor to host her!”
MARCH 2015 (1)
1. March 28, 2015: Shuriu Lo will be hosting a Pilates Circle community event at Long Beach GYROTONIC® Studio. Shuriu’s colleague the Pilates teacher and certified nutritional consultant, Megan Salisbury, talks about healthy eating habits, especially food myths. Please follow this link to sign up for the workshop.
JANUARY 2015 (1)
1. January 31, 2015: Shuriu Lo will be hosting a Pilates Circle community event at Long Beach GYROTONIC® Studio. Shuriu’s colleague and current Pilates teacher, Christy Drescher, will be teaching challenging post and pre-natal Pilates workouts for healthy women. Please follow this link to sign up for the workshop!
OCTOBER 2014 EVENTS (2)
1. Shuriu will be attending GYROTONIC® and GYROKINESIS® master trainer Juergen Bamberger’s Psoas Principles workshop at Up Studio in Long Beach. For those of you who have studied GYROTONIC® exercise regularly with Shuriu, you can glean further insight from her after this course!
2. Shuriu will be attending her first Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization (DNS) exercise course as developed by the “Prague School” of Rehabilitation and Manual Medicine was established by key neurologists/physiatrists, all of whom were giants in the 20th Century rehabilitation movement: Professors’ Vaclav Vojta, Karel Lewit, Vladimir Janda, and Frantisek Vele. DNS is based upon the premise that the nervous system establishes programs that control human posture, movement and gait. This methodology has helped Shuriu recover from injuries, develop greater strength and stability, and to address various chronic issues with her clients.
SEPTEMBER 2014 EVENTS (4)
1. Shuriu will be attending GYROKINESIS® master trainer Alicia Head’s workshop, “The Inner Life of Ballet” at Up Studio in Long Beach on September 14th. For more information, contact Alicia Head at email@example.com or to register, call 562.304.6465.
2. Shuriu’s Thai Yoga mentor, Daniel Carr, will be teaching a 2-day course on Thai yoga massage at OC GYROTONIC® studio in Huntington Beach, CA on September 20 & 21. The course is 9am-5pm with a 2 hour lunch break. The price is $220 per person and includes a manual for the material to be covered. Please contact Shuriu for registration.
3. Shuriu is hosting an introduction to classical Cambodian dance at Khmer Arts Academy, Saturday, September 27th in Long Beach. This event is free. It will be held from 1-2pm. Parking is available on the street at 1364 Obispo Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90804.
4. Although Shuriu will be releasing her Foot Fitness dvd for sale on September, 27, 2014.
AUGUST 2014 EVENTS (3)
1. Shuriu Lo is studying advances in dance conditioning and physiotherapy with Australian physical therapist Lisa Howell August 14 & 15 at Up Studio in Long Beach! This is a very special course and for those who are passionate about refining their technique for dance, please see Shuriu for insights afterward.
2. Shuriu will be studying conditioning and ballet intensive work with GYROKINESIS® master trainer Alicia Head throughout August. Themes vary from, “What is your core and how can it help your dancing?” to “What it means to ‘get up on your leg’ [your supporting or base leg].” “Articulaion of the Foot and Jump Landings,” “Turnout and a GYROKINESIS-inspired floor barre,” “What is your psoas? How does it affect your alignment? How can it help your extensions?” annd finally “Safe and Effective Backbends/Arabesque.” Although this work is largely proprietary, there is a modicum that can be shared in Shuriu’s blog or when you book a session with Shuriu. Regular clients will be seeing some of these studies and how they influence Shuriu’s understanding of movement and the body during regular classes and sessions.
3. Shuriu will be performing Argentine tango informally at the end of the month. This will mark her debut. For more information, check out Martín & Alyssa’s Tango Elegante website and click on the link for the pdf flyer called “20th Anniversary.”
JUNE 2014 EVENTS (1)
Shuriu is giving free demonstrations and experiences on the GYROTONIC® equipment from 6:00-6:30pm on Thursdays the whole month of June at Long Beach GYROTONIC® studio. To sign up, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
MAY 2014 EVENTS (1)
Shuriu Lo is demonstrating Pilates Mat exercises for beginners to advanced movers this Saturday, May 3rd at 10am and 11am at Piercy Pilates studio, 19032 Magnolia St, Huntington Beach, CA 92646. No reservations are required.
APRIL 2014 EVENTS (1)
To celebrate Pilates, I will be participating in National Pilates Day on May 3, 2014 at Piercy Pilates in Fountain Valley/Huntington Beach. May is completely booked up for me but I wanted to give you the opportunity to experience fundamental Pilates exercises that focus on stabilizing the essential core muscles FOR FREE in celebration of the Pilates exercise approach. To that end, I am offering a free 25-minute exercise mat class for the first few people that come every Wednesday in April from 6:00-6:30pm to the Long Beach GYROTONIC® studio. The class will be held in the upstairs Pilates Group Reformer room. Space will be very limited, so first come, first served. We will be doing material from my “Pilates Core 1: Foundation” exercise DVD. This class will only be held in April. Don’t miss out!
NOVEMBER 2013 EVENTS (1)
Shuriu is releasing two new Pilates exercise DVDs: an essential core program and instructional DVD “Pilates Core 1: Foundation” and an intermediate/advanced DVD “Pilates Core 3: Challenge.” These will be available for sale beginning at the DVD release party, open house, reception, and free demonstration event from 6:00-8:30pm, Thursday, November 21, 2013. This event will be held at Long Beach GYROTONIC®, 5808 E. Naples Plaza, Long Beach, CA 90803.
Parking is available on the street. Lot parking is valet only for Naples Rib Company during the event. The DVDs will be available online at this website and in person with Shuriu or at Free Spirit Yoga in Long Beach, Synergy Body & Wellness in Seal Beach, and Peaceful Waves Healing Center in Sunset Beach. If you would like to stock these DVDs at your studio or healing center, please let Shuriu know.
OCTOBER 2013 EVENTS (1)
Are you ready to go steady? Join us for our new class time: Pilates Group Reformer Wednesday nights at 6:30pm starting November 6th at Long Beach GYROTONIC® studio. SIGN UP NOW to reserve your spot. There is only one spot left for regular attendees. Drop-ins are welcome, but please double check that there is a spot available first.
Soon you can practice on your own with “Core 1: Foundation” workouts on DVD. For die-hard Pilates fans, we are also releasing early “Core 3: Challenge” with the Pilates Vacation Special and more advanced exercises. “Like” us on Facebook or subscribe to shuriulo.com to receive updates.
AUGUST 2013 EVENTS (1)
Ever wanted to learn the GYROTONIC® principles and basic curriculum in an intensive, workshop environment? Shuriu Lo will be teaching a course serious GYROTONIC® practitioners or for those who want to become GYROTONIC® instructors within the next 2 years. If this work interests you, we strongly recommend that you begin taking private sessions or at the very least, doing the GYROKINESIS® dvd’s 2-3 times a week before August 15th. The course is 5 hours a day of focused movement execution and study. To get the most out of your experience, take the time to prepare your body and mind for concentrated and disciplined guidance through this beautiful art of movement.
GYROTONIC® Level 1 Pre-Training taught by Shuriu Lo at Synergy Body & Wellness studio in Seal Beach, California August 22-24, 29-31. 12-5pm all 6 days (Aug. 31st may be less time, to be determined during the course). Course fee: $850 + $175 studio fee. The course includes 2 60-minute format GYROKINESIS® classes open to the public. To secure your spot, pay a $175 non refundable deposit by August 15th to Arisa Yoshida at Synergy Body & Wellness. Contact Shuriu Lo at (562) 243-9105 or email@example.com if you are interested in taking this course.
Course is limited to 3 participants. For the group training rate to apply, there must be a minimum of 2 participants. Synergy Body & Wellness, 201-8th St., Ste. 130, Seal Beach, CA 90740. www.synergybwell.com
JANUARY 2013 EVENTS (2)
Cultivate energy through your chakras from a feminine perspective. Deepen your awareness of each center and how it governs different energies — whether blocked or free-flowing — in your body. Through GYROTONIC®-based and Pilates-based exercises, strengthen your divine Inner Goddess in this new 90-minute conditioning class.
Each class begins with a brief discussion of that day’s theme. We will explore that element through each exercise — whether it be unblocking the solar plexus chakra or creating chi flow in the second (sex/reproductive) chakra, for instance. Each class ends with a meditation on healing and cultivating feminine energy for increased vibrance, peace, and joy.
This workshop introduces some of the concepts to be explored in this new weekly class, the Inner Goddess Conditioning class, on Sunday, January 20th from 2-4pm at Free Spirit Yoga, 3910 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach, CA 90807. Cost for the workshop is $20. The class will be held regularly on Mondays from 8:30-10am beginning February 4, 2013. Cost is $20/class. Participants limited to 6 students, female only ^_^,
Instructor: Shuriu Lo
Look for an article on exploring your Inner Goddess on this site soon! (It will answer the question, “what is my inner goddess?”).
2. 1. GYROKINESIS® group class continues at Dance West dance studios on the FIRST and FOURTH Monday’s of each month, beginning in January 2013. Enjoy moving with flow and ease through articulating each joint. Remember that you can check the Group Class Schedule for updates.
NOVEMBER 2012 EVENTS (2)
1. GYROKINESIS® group class resumes at Dance West dance studios on November 12th. ^_^, Enjoy moving with flow and ease through articulating each joint.
2. Bonus event: dance along with this YouTube video for an extra special, de-stressing, pick-me-up 😀 (warning: PG-13 for “potty humor”)
OCTOBER 2012 EVENTS (2)
1. GYROKINESIS® group class at Dance West dance studios is on hiatus while the studio space is being used for The Movement dance team special rehearsal preparations for competitions.
2. There has been interest expressed in a Dance Conditioning class for Fridays at 7:30am in Long Beach or Los Alamitos. 3 people are interested but we need another 3 to start the class. Any takers?
AUGUST 2012 EVENTS (1)
SHOULDER STABILITY workshop, Monday, August 13, 2012. Join us at Dance West dance studios in Los Alamitos, CA on Monday, August 13th from 6:30-7:30pm. Dance West dance studios, 4322 Katella Ave., Los Alamitos, CA 90720. Cost is $15/class or $5/unlimited students. (No extra cost for dancers in The Movement.)
Shoulder weakness ruins turns and lines when we dance. Instead of our regular GYROKINESIS® group class on the 2nd & 4th Monday of each month, we will be learning a homework routine and better shoulder and arm alignment to strengthen and overcome shoulder weaknesses. Dancers bring a mat or towel to lie on and two 5 lb. dumb bells/ free weights.
Please contact Shuriu Lo if you are not a regular Dance West dance studio student: (562) 243-9105 or firstname.lastname@example.org Bring an exercise mat, wear comfortable clothes you can lie down in, and 2 5-lb. hand weights/dumb bells. Click on the flyer below for additional information:
JULY 2012 EVENTS (2)
From July 16-20, 2012 I’m in San Luis Obispo substitute teaching for GYROTONIC® master trainer Victoria Limadibrata and while I’m here I’m available for Thai Yoga massage & mind-body exercise sessions as well.
Contact me to set up an appointment. I look forward to seeing you soon!
Dancer’s Foot Fitness Class during the Dance West summer dance intensive
11:30am-12:30pm, Thursday, July 12, 2012
Hey there, I’ll be teaching my foot fitness class that focuses on alignment, strength, and relieving aches and pains for the feet at Dance West dance studio. Whether you enjoy wearing heels, struggle along in your pointe shoes, or just have various aches and pains in your feet, this is the class for you! It’s suitable for a variety of ages from 12 years old on up. Bring a mat and if you have small or medium exercise balls, bring those (up to 2), too.
If you’re signed up for the July 9-12 summer intensive, it’s no extra charge. $15 for non summer intensive students. Special discount to Dance West unlimited monthly class students of $5 for this special class. We will have medium-sized balls, double tennis balls, and exercise ball hand pumps for sale at the class, too.
To sign up just for the class, contact me, Shuriu Lo, at (562) 243-9105 (by phone, no texting please) or by email at email@example.com To register for the Dance West summer intensive, please contact the studio (see entry for last year’s intensive below).
Dancer’s Injury Prevention Workshop
July 5-8, 2011
Dance West Dance Studio (DW)
4322 Katella Ave.
Huntington Beach, CA 92647